Village of Sandy Creek
The Incorporation of the Village of Sandy Creek-September 4, 1878!
We celebrate 138 years in 2016.
The Sandy Creek Firemen celebrate 131 years in 2016
The men who formed the Committee to Incorporate the Village of Sandy Creek were:
• Oren R. Earl who was involved with the development of the Town and Village since 1837
• Pitt M. Newton who was a progressive businessman who was born in the Town of Sandy Creek
• Julius S. Robbins, came with his parents to Sandy Creek in 1818 and was a successful merchant
• Matthew M. Earl, a nephew of Oren R. Earl and was engaged in farming and later a cashier of the Oren R. Earl Bank
• Danforth E. Ainsworth who came to Sandy Creek with his parents from Clayton, NY and became a distinguished attorney, a member of the NYS Assembly and gave the gift of the Annie Porter Ainsworth Memorial Library to this town.
How did the people vote on September 4, 1878? Four hundred and five went to the Town Hall and voted. Of this total, 247 said yes and 158 said no. Majority in favor of incorporation, 69.
Annie Ainsworth Memorial Library will celebrate 75 years on October 25th. A speaker and refreshments are planned and the event is part of the Bicentennial Celebration. This library was a gift to the town given by Hon. Danforth Ainsworth in memory of his wife, Annie in 1928.