It ran about three-fourths of a mile east of Sandy Creek village; consequently the idea soon arose of building another village around the depot. After a few houses had been erected the question of a name came up, and the very convient and euphonious one of Lacona was adopted.
In 1880, Lacona Village was incorporated and grew as a result of the railroad. The present depot was constructed in 1891 by New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. New York Central later became the Penn Central Railroad System. Thee village goals for the depot include saving an important site from decay, to display historical documents and artifacts concerning the railroad, and house the offices of both villages.